Our humane organization takes responsibility for stray cats who might otherwise not have a chance at adoption. Therefore we seek permanent, loving homes where our “special” cats can live a long, happy and healthy life. For this reason we must ask you to read, understand and follow the following policies and then answer the following questions on the adoption application which will enable us to determine your acceptability as a prospective adopter.
- You must be at least 21 years old with proper proof of age
- You must have lived at your residence for at least one year
- You must be employed at least one year, or retired with a reliable source of income
- Current identification must show your correct address and telephone number
- If you are living with your parents, one of them must sign the Adoption Contract
- You must be able and willing to spend the time and money needed to feed, house, train and provide medical care for your cat
- You must be willing to allow an authorized representative of Cat Guardians to make an adoption follow-up either in person or by telephone.
- You must read carefully the terms of our Adoption Contract and be willing to agree to the terms.
- You agree that if, for any reason, at any time, you cannot keep the cat you have adopted from Cat Guardians, you must RETURN THE CAT TO CAT GUARDIANS.
- You agree that if, for any reason, the cat you adopt from Cat Guardians gets lost, you will contact us immediately.
- Finally, you must pay a non-refundable Adoption Fee.
When You Have Decided to Adopt
After you have made the decision to add a new pet to your household, there are a few more steps to complete the process.
All members of the household must come in prior to adoption.
We do not do same-day adoptions. We require a minimum of a 24-hour waiting period before your new friend can go home with you. This is so you and your family can discuss the adoption and make sure that it is right for you, and also allow us time to complete all necessary paperwork.
Since the goal is to get homeless animals adopted (no matter where they come from!) we would be happy to supply you with a list of other shelters that may have a shorter adoption process.
You must fill out an adoption application. Your completed application will be reviewed by approved personnel and you will be contacted as soon as possible.
We need to know you’re allowed to have a pet in your home. If you are a renter, we must see a copy of your lease stating that you are allowed to have pets. If you are a homeowner, we need proof that you are currently making mortgage payments.
Our adoption fees are $150 for kittens and $120 for adult cats.
Prior to adoption, all of our cats are spayed/neutered, up-to-date on all shots (including deworming, distemper, all yearly inoculations, and rabies if old enough), microchipped, and tested for FIV and Feline Leukemia. This treatment may cost us up to $400 per animal.
When you come to take your new friend home, you must bring a sturdy carrier. We cannot let any cat or kitten leave the shelter unless it is safely secured. The cat carrier can serve several different purposes for your new friend. It can be its personal bed, and it can be used when taking the cat to the vet or other trips outside the house. Your cat will be much safer and happier in a carrier.
Once approved as an adoptive parent/family, you will be given an appointment to pick up your new feline friend on a day we are not open to the public. Please allow 45 minutes for the adoption process.
Adoptions are conducted by appointment only. We apologize if this is an inconvenience to you, but due to our limited available volunteer base, we need to streamline our procedures.